Rental of Facility – Policies
Rental of Facility – Policies
Description of Facility: Spencerville Mill & Museum is an 1860s, three story, historic gristmill located on the South Nation River about 80km southwest of Ottawa. Two floors of the Mill and the riverside Mill Park are available as rental space for public or private functions.
The lessee must understand and respect that artifacts and other objects displayed in the Mill & Museum shall not be touched, removed, covered or altered in any way. The Spencerville Mill Foundation’s (SMF) primary concern must be the appropriate care and safeguarding of its collections and exhibitions. Thus, SMF reserves the right to refuse facility rental due to concerns for safety of the building, its holdings and/or conflicts with goals and purposes of the Mill & Museum.
Rental space available
Rental of the building includes access to main floor and second floor of the Mill & Museum, furniture as listed, washrooms and Mill Park. Occupancy for indoor areas is capped at 135. For a sit down reception we recommend no more than 75 on the main floor and a maximum of 100 on the second floor.
Rental of the park only includes use of the gazebo and our outdoor furniture. It does not provide access to our washrooms. Keep in mind that the Mill Park is enjoyed by visitors and neighbours. SMF cannot prohibit casual use of the site but does guarantee that only one event will be scheduled at any given time.
Rental fee for the use of the Spencerville Mill & Museum:
1.1 There will be a surcharge of $100 per hour or part thereof after midnight. Facility closes at 1:00 am
1.2 Please see break down of total fees owed at the end of this contract to determine total costs. SMF reserves the right to reduce this fee in circumstances where the events are of an educational or training nature. Bookings are held on a first-come, first-serve basis. Rental spot will be held up to 48 hours without payment or a contract being signed. The reserved spot will expire automatically after 48 hours.
1.3 Facility should not be considered booked until ALL fees are paid and the following contract is signed.
1.4 All monies must be collected at least 3 months prior to event.
1.5 Mill and Mill Park can only be held and rented by Event Manager, Sheila Fawcett
1.6 We have a no pets policy
2. Cancellation must be done at least 60 days prior to the booking at which time all fees will be refunded minus a $200 administration fee. Cancelations for use of park only will be$50
3. Refundable security deposit of $300.00 is required to reserve your rental. The Lessee will be responsible for any damage to the building or furnishing, including artifacts and exhibits. The deposit will be retained by SMF in the event of late cancellation, damage or non-compliance with the facility rental agreement
4. Heating There is a surcharge of $150 per rental if heat is required during spring/ fall events.
No other heat source is permitted.
5. During the summer season (July and August), the Mill & Museum is not available for rental between 10:00am and 4:00pm, except by special arrangement. SMF undertakes to not book the Mill & Museum on the same day to two different parties.
6. Decorating must be accomplished outside of the public hours: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Lessees are responsible for all set up, including furniture placement. The use of nails, staples, tape, tacks and similar material is not permitted in the building. Miniature lights may be suspended on the posts using existing hooks. Early set up in the Mill may be permitted by special arrangement, however the public still has access to the premises.
6.1 Set up in the park may take place during visiting hours. Fireworks, confetti, artificial flower petals or any similar products are not permitted in the Mill Park .
6.2 No machines, displays or artifacts are to be moved or altered in any way without prior consent from SMF. The Lessee will have access to the space(s) that they have booked during rental hours only. Offices and curatorial areas (lower floor & general store) are private and closed to rental clients. Please respect closed doors/ gates.
6.3 Planned decorations to be used in the Mill & Museum or in the Mill Park must be discussed with and approved by the SMF Director or Representative accepting this agreement
6.4 Deliveries Materials must be done on the day of the function at a prearranged time.
Lessees and guests are expected to return the facilities and grounds to the condition in which they found them before the beginning of their event. This includes, but is not limited to, replacement of furniture, sweeping the floors and the removal of garbage.
All food, alcoholic beverages, empty bottles and containers must be removed from the property.
Take down must be completed by midnight or, if necessary, between 9:00 -10:00 am the next day.
Disregard of these decorating and clean up conditions will result in the loss of part or all of security deposit as deemed by the SMF representative.
8. Onsite Security
SMF requires one authorized staff person or board designated representative to be on site at all times. SMF will provide a clean facility and will arrange to open and close the Mill.
9. No smoking, candles or open flames are permitted in the Mill & Museum or directly outside on viewing deck or loading dock. Caterers may use Sterno heaters for food.
Battery operated candles are recommended
10. Alcoholic beverages
No alcoholic beverages shall be brought into or consumed on site either inside or outside the Mill without expressed written consent from the Spencerville Mill foundation. Lessees are fully responsible for acquiring their own liability insurance policy and adding “The Mill” as additional insured. Lessees are also responsible for obtaining a Special Occasion Permit from the AGCO and a total compliance with all Liquor License Act regulations. SMF requires proof of the obtained license and accompanying insurance coverage one week prior to the scheduled event.
10.1 Be advised that alcoholic beverages can be consumed only in the building or on the front deck according to the SO permit.
10.2 SMF requires confirmation of the servers’ names and their Smart Serve Certification numbers one week prior to the event.
10.3 Advisory: If the lessee is planning an outdoor event in the Mill Park where alcohol is being served, all regulations as outlined in the application for a Special Occasion Permit must be followed. If a tent is to be erected a letter must also be written to the local building department. It is advised that local authorities be informed at least 30 days prior to the event.
11. Children must be accompanied and adequately supervised by adults. No persons are permitted on the lower level as it is for exhibit purposes only.
Running and other boisterous activity is prohibited in the building.
12. SMF will not be responsible for any lost, stolen, damaged or mislaid articles. Further, SMF is not responsible for any injuries or any other peril which occurs to any person or persons during the time that this agreement is in effect.
13. SMF reserves the right to cancel at any time prior to or during a function where due to unforeseen circumstances, structure failure makes the use of the building impractical, or where an infraction of the law occurs or has occurred on the part of the Lessee.
Rental Costs Provide:
Use of main floor, upper level, accessible washrooms and Mill Park
Wheel chair accessibility to main floor
Use of flat screen TV and DVD player
Power and lighting – including power to gazebo
Limited on site parking
An onsite manager to provide assistance and answer questions on day of event
Access to :
10 8 ft rectangular plastic tables
6 4 ft rectangular plastic tables
120 upholstered folding chairs
96 chairs – green plastic, best for outdoor use
31 round tables – green plastic, best for outdoor use
Mill Facility & Park: $300.00 for two hours or $600.00 for four hours. $100.00 for additional hours up to a maximum of $800.00.
Security Deposit: $300.00
Extras: Use of 100 satin-look chair covers: $1.25 per chair cover*
Park Rental (to reserve park for private use) : $200.00
Photo session indoors: $45 up to two hours. $25 per hour for additional hours. Must be prearranged.
Wedding Rehearsal/Decorating: Wedding rehearsal/ decorating $45 for up to 2 hours
$25 per hour for additional hours. Must be prearranged.
Note: HST will be added to all fees.
*Chair covers are of polyester fabric and must be returned cleaned and folded.
Please wash in warm/cold water, hang to dry and fluff in a warm (not hot) drier.
Review Rental contract and Photography Agreement forms:
Contact Us Today
Contact our Rental Co-ordinator today to discuss your event and secure a booking.